This is an exciting read for all Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 truck owners. In this article, the best shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 will be discussed. For every type and design of the truck, the shock remains one of the major components of the suspension system.
This is why it is important and advised to always go for top-grade shocks to enable you to have an amazing ride at any point in time no matter the road and weather conditions may be.
Asides ensuring you have a smooth ride from time to time, top-grade shocks also ensure the suspension system is well protected during off-road rides and when you have to haul those hefty loads with your truck.
So, if you drive a Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 and you are looking at using it for heavy towing, off-road rides, and for time to time haulage of goods or other valuables, there is a need for shocks upgrade.
In another word, for uninterrupted performance during the engagement of your truck in any of the listed activities, you need to go for one of the best shocks on the market.
When you have the best shocks installed on your truck, aside from the enhanced performance you experience, the handling is also improved, and you are assured of experiencing a smooth drive from time to time.
When you take a careful watch on the available types and designs of shocks on the market today, it may be very difficult to pick out the perfect choice of purchase for your truck.
To ensure you get value for your money, we have been able to put together some interesting information for you. This information will guide your purchase decision.
Here, we have 10 top shocks you can pick from for your Dodge Ram 1500 4×4. No matter what you decide to use your truck for, our choice of shocks are well equipped to handle your needs.
The top brands of Shocks you can choose from are Bilstein, Monroe, Rancho, DRIVE TECH AMERICA, Detroit Axle, and Sensen Shocks & Struts.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 Best Shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4
- 1.1 01. Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit: A perfect fit for your Ram 1500
- 1.2 02. Monroe 58640 Load Adjusting Shock Absorber: Looking for a great OEM replacement? This is it
- 1.3 03. Rancho Suspension Quick Lift: Amazing shocks for your Dodge Ram 1500
- 1.4 04. Bilstein (24-185783) 5100 Series: Perfect fit and a nice improvement in your truck
- 1.5 05. Bilstein 24-187374 Monotube Shock Absorber: Improve your ride quality
- 1.6 06. Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorber Set: Level your truck the right way
- 1.7 07. DTA 70004 Full Set 2 Front Complete Struts with Springs and Mounts: The best value for your money
- 1.8 08. Detroit Axle Shock Absorbers: Quality at an affordable price
- 1.9 09. Bilstein 24-025508 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Shocks that make the difference
- 1.10 10. SENSEN 2251: Nice quality and construction
- 2 Buying consideration of Best Shocks For Dodge Ram 1500
- 3 How to install Shocks of a Dodge Ram
- 4 FAQs About Dodge RAM Shocks
- 4.0.1 What are the best brands of shock absorbers to go for?
- 4.0.2 Are shock absorbers expensive?
- 4.0.3 When should I consider a replacement?
- 4.0.4 Do strut and shock perform the same function?
- 4.0.5 Are shock absorbers subjected to wear and tear?
- 4.0.6 Can I check the shock absorbers of my vehicle myself?
- 4.0.7 When do I get my shock absorbers replaced?
- 5 Conclusion
10 Best Shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4
01. Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit: A perfect fit for your Ram 1500
This type of shock is a perfect fit for your Dodge Ram 1500. To add to the list of other trucks that this design can perfectly fit in if you drive a truck whose tires are large or a truck known for its heightened stance, this is a perfect pick for you.
This amazing design is one of the best Mono-tube shocks you can find on the market, and the valve system is “digressive”.
No matter how rough or complicated the road condition may be, these shocks are designed to react immediately to whatever they come in contact with while driving.
This ensures the stability of your truck. In the end, the road condition won’t override the need for comfort while driving, as the shocks keep you in total control of the whole vehicle functions as you continue with your trip.
In essence, with Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit, you remain in total control of your truck’s operation no matter the change you encounter on the road.
These amazing shocks are easy to install, and you can easily adjust the front shock to about an inch lift.
Bilstein 5100 Series shocks are designed for those tough conditions. This design is very reliable, and it is a perfect fit for any form of road conditions you come across while driving.
Perfectly designed for towing, and it is also perfect for hauling. In terms of performance and stability, this design is one of the shocks designs we can recommend.
After numerous researches conducted online as well as various reviews by users, there is no downside we can point at in terms of performance, handling, and installation.
It is fair enough to say that this design is a perfect pick for all users of Dodge Ram 1500 4×4. Although, the price is a bit high.
- Installation is easy and smooth
- A smooth ride is guaranteed
- Mono-tube design
- Reliable for all forms of use
- Adjustable front shock
- The valve system is digressive
- Top performance
- Perfect for towing
- Perfect for hauling
- A bit costly
02. Monroe 58640 Load Adjusting Shock Absorber: Looking for a great OEM replacement? This is it
This is another amazing Shock to look at when you think or an upgrade or replacement of your Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 replacement.
This model of shocks from Monroe comes in two packs. Well, these shocks do not come with the rear suspension feature or system.
When you study the design and operations critically, it is evident that this shock is specifically designed for trucks with what is known as “Heightened sensing rear”.
Built for strength, Monroe shock absorbers can conveniently lift your Dodge Ram 1500 rear body to an extra height of about five to eight inches.
Asides the extra lift it gives to your truck, it as well brings reform to the stability of your truck.
With the unique modifiers that come with this design, friction is as well reduced. Also, the valving system is designed to adjust without the need for manual interaction. Automatically, the valving system regulates itself.
Also, to encourage uninterrupted seal, this leads to the inclusion of a special feature known as “The Flueon Branded Piston.”
Overall, with the appropriate tools, this design is easy to install, adequate for towing, adequate for hauling, and it is very reliable.
The price is affordable, and it delivers more than the cost of purchase in terms of performance and stability.
Due to the coil cover that is positioned on the shock, truck owners may experience some knocking sounds especially when they move or drive over bumps.
The knocking sound is not a general thing. Reviews from users show that some truck owners who have this design already installed do not experience any forms of vibration or unusual sounds while driving. We advise that the installation should be done appropriately.
- Installation is not difficult
- Ensures uninterrupted sealing
- Comes with a unique modifier
- Valving system
- Perfect choice for towing
- Perfect choice for hauling
- Improved handling and performance
- Truck owners may experience some knocking sounds
03. Rancho Suspension Quick Lift: Amazing shocks for your Dodge Ram 1500
Let’s take a very quick look at this type of shock. This design is regarded as one of the best not just for the Dodge Ram 1500, but for some other trucks. This time, SUV’s are not left out.
Once you have the Rancho Suspension Quick Lift installed on your vehicle, it facilitates the use of bigger wheels and tires.
If you have always wanted to upgrade the wheels and tires of your truck to a larger one, this design allows that without any limitations.
Also, installation is very easy and convenient, this is aided by the upper mounting plate.
When installed, the performance of your truck gets better. No matter the terrain you drive on, you can manually adjust this design to fit adequately into what you need.
In terms of the effect this design has on your truck, the control system and the response system are optimized to about four hundred (400) percent to bring about the smooth and efficient performance of your truck no matter how difficult of rough the condition of the road may be.
Yes, performance and user’s specific configuration is enhanced. When compared with some other top options on the market, the price seems to be a bit high.
Although, if you can afford it, you can go for it. This is one of the appropriate investment you can make. You won’t get it wrong with it. Value for every penny spent is guaranteed.
- Perfect for some other types of SUV’s and Trucks
- Presence of upper mounting plate
- Can be configured manually to fit a driver’s needs
- Perfect for all forms of road conditions
- Accommodates the use of large tires and wheels
- Optimized performance
- Ease of installation
- Improves the control and response system of your truck
- The price is high
04. Bilstein (24-185783) 5100 Series: Perfect fit and a nice improvement in your truck
This shock is specially created for various types of vehicles. Known as one of the best choices of shock absorbers for your Dodge Ram 1500 4×4, this amazing design is also a great fit for other types of trucks, for jeeps, and SUVs.
The main aim of coming up with this design of shock absorbers is to improve the handling and performance of your vehicle, once you have it installed.
If you are looking at the haulage of heavy loads without any disturbance or limitations to the driving experience, this is a great pick for you.
With an extension of about 2.5 inches guaranteed for the stock height adjustment, you are well informed about what to expect from this shock absorbers before and after installation.
The installation is not time-consuming, all it takes to fully install it on your vehicle is just about 2 hours at most.
The performance is one of the best on the market, thanks to the presence of high-pressure nitrogen gas which this amazing design makes use of. Just like many other Bilstein’s designs, this is also a Mono-tube shock absorber.
If you are using the 02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4×4, this may not be the right pick for you. To know more about this, you may need to contact Bilstein for confirmation.
- Mono-tube shock absorbers
- 5 inches guaranteed for the stock height adjustment
- Perfect fit for several trucks, SUV’s, and jeeps
- Presence of high-pressure nitrogen gas
- Perfect for haulage of heavy loads
- Installation is easy and fast
- Not a perfect pick for 02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4×4
05. Bilstein 24-187374 Monotube Shock Absorber: Improve your ride quality
This Bilstein series is exclusively designed for use/installation in trucks as well as SUV’s.
Just like the other shock absorbers designs from Bilstein that are on this list, the Bilstein 24-187374 Monotube Shock Absorber, also known as Bilstein B8 5100 shock comes in a Mono-tube design.
The digressive piston is exceptional, which gives it the uniqueness it possesses. This is evident in the way it reacts whenever there is a change in the condition of the road. The reaction is immediate, and it is also automatic.
In essence, these shock absorbers are the perfect fit for your truck, no matter what the road condition may be. It is plated in zinc, which guarantees an extended life span.
The velocity sensitivity of this design is another great feature that is worth talking about. This sensitivity ensures the shock absorbers reach specifically when necessary to ensure improved performance.
When you have these specially designed shock absorbers installed on your vehicle, you are assured of improved driving experience, comfort, control, and handling.
Without the right installation tools and adequate experience, installation may be a little bit challenging. Also, in terms of cost, it is fairly priced.
- Mono-tube shock absorbers
- Plated in zinc
- Exceptional digressive piston
- Great for all road conditions
- Velocity sensitivity feature
- Improved performance
- Improved driving experience
- Improved handling and control
- Comfort is guaranteed
- Installation may be a little bit challenging
06. Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorber Set: Level your truck the right way
The design of these shock absorbers is similar to other shock absorbers by Bilstein that we have highlighted on this list.
Let us quickly do a recap about the designs of Bilstein shock absorbers we have identified so far in this buying guide. All Bilstein’s shock absorbers identified on this list are Mono-tube.
The digressive piston that comes with this shock absorber is advanced, which is notably around 46 mm.
So, back to Bilstein 5100 Front Shock Absorber Set; the piston comes with adjustable disc valves. The adjustment is programmed to happen automatically.
Built for strength, you can comfortably make use of your truck for the haulage of heavy loads upon installation without any backlash on the performance of your truck or the driving experience.
This absorber is very easy to install, and it is plated in zinc. You can easily expand the front lift to about 2.75 inches.
The cost of acquiring one for replacement or upgrade is a bit costly. In actual sense, the price is what an individual who desires quality in terms of performance will be willing to pay.
One thing is sure, you won’t have to break the bank. If you are looking for a more reliable way to level your truck, here is the answer.
- You can expand the front lift to about 2.75 inches
- Plated in zinc
- Mono-tube design
- Advanced digressive piston
- Adjustable disc valves
- Top performance
- Easy to install
- Great for haulage
- Price is a bit high
07. DTA 70004 Full Set 2 Front Complete Struts with Springs and Mounts: The best value for your money
This design of shock absorbers comes with complete springs and mounts. If you are looking for shocks absorbers that allow optimum performance and handling during rough weather or road condition, this is the right pick for you.
Whether you decide to drive your truck on those rocky roads, while it snows, when it’s raining or wet, and on a sandy road, these shock absorbers ensure safety, comfort, and smooth ride from time to time.
Also, the DTA 70004 makes sure your truck absorbs bumps pretty well whenever it comes in contact with one.
When you install this design on your vehicle, it makes it adaptable to all kinds of rough road conditions. For all forms of off-road trips and adventures, this is a design you can count on.
The springs that come with this design are well equipped to absorb the shocks, starts and halts, the potholes, and bumps you come across on every ride.
If you are targeting a long-distance trip filled with fun and adventure, comfort is necessary. Well, we can assure you that this design gives you the comfort you need thereby eradicating any forms of difficulties and hardness as you go on your journey.
Installation is smooth and easy, and the design makes use of nitrogen gas. Also worthy of mention is the resistance of the piston to all forms of weather.
The price is a bit higher than the market average price, so it can be seen or considered to be a bit costly.
In a real sense, what it offers in terms of performance is way bigger and better than the price. If you do not mind to pay for quality, this is a perfect pick for you.
- Comes with complete springs and mounts
- The unit set is completely loaded
- Makes use of nitrogen gas
- The resistance of the piston to all forms of weather
- Adaptable to all kinds of rough road conditions
- Installation is smooth and easy
- Ensure safety, comfort, and smooth ride from time to time
- Makes sure your truck absorbs bumps pretty well
- The price is a bit high
08. Detroit Axle Shock Absorbers: Quality at an affordable price
This design has some common attributes or features as the previous shock absorbers discussed on this list; the DTA 70004.
Straight to the point, this design is a perfect fit for your Dodge Ram 1500. For all you need to install these absorbers on your vehicle, the package has them all.
It comes with a completely integrated strut. This strut is built in a way that brings about ease of installation, thereby cuts down the installation time. The integrated strut eradicates the need for a spring compressor during the installation.
If you are looking at a complete replacement of your shock absorbers, this is a great design for you. Also, like a few other shock absorbers on this list, this design is nitrogen gas charged.
Detroit Axle Shock Absorbers are durable, and they are also long-lasting. The piston is built to withstand any forms of weather, and the spring seats come with insulators. In terms of price, it is very affordable. You won’t have to break the bank.
Enjoy an amazing ride from time to time after installation, and you are ascertained of getting optimum value for your money in terms of performance and comfort.
If an individual lacks the experience needed for installation, the process could eventually end up being a little bit difficult.
- The spring seats come with insulators
- Uses nitrogen gas
- Pistons are resistant to all forms of weather
- Built for strength
- A perfect fit for your Dodge Ram 1500
- Comes with all installation components
- Guarantees performance and comfort
- Installation could be a little bit difficult
09. Bilstein 24-025508 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Shocks that make the difference
These shock absorbers are designed for people who desire incredible road experience. Enhance your driving experience when you have this amazing design installed on your vehicle.
No matter the terrain you drive on, these shock absorbers adjust automatically to whatever the condition of the road is.
Just as we have discussed Bilstein’s Shock absorbers on our list, they are known for top performance, strength, and reliability.
Installation is easy and fast, and you do not need any special skills or experience to get this amazing design fixed on your vehicle.
If you are looking for a great shock absorber for your vehicle that can adapt to off-road needs or the haulage of heavy loads, here you go.
This product comes with a Mono-tube design, just like all other Bilstein’s design. This ensures you attain optimum performance from time to time. Bilstein 24-025508 dissipates heat very fast, and this design comes at a pocket-friendly price.
This is one of the best absorbers you can get on the market at the price it is being offered.
If you are driving 03 Dodge Ram, you may need to talk to Bilstein before you make a purchase. According to various reports online, this design is not considered appropriate for the 03 Dodge Ram.
- Mono-tube design
- Adjusts automatically to road conditions
- Known for top performance, strength, and reliability.
- Dissipates heat very fast
- Accommodates the haulage of heavy loads
- Easy to install
- Not a perfect choice for the 03 Dodge Ram
10. SENSEN 2251: Nice quality and construction
A perfect replacement for your vehicle’s shock absorbers. Once installed on your vehicle, it enhances the performance, handling, and control to ensure you have a remarkable driving experience from time to time.
This design of shock absorber is made for strength, and it doesn’t wear out easily.
One of the most trusted shock absorbers among top auto-technicians around the world. The installation is easy and fast, and the price of this shock absorber is pocket-friendly.
In terms of the quality of this product, this remains undisputed. To affirm this, the SENSEN 2251 is certified by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
This shows why all the various components of this amazing product are designed to comply with specifications and expectations in terms of functionality and compatibility.
If you are looking at a great quality shock absorber at an affordable price, this is just what you need. If you drive the 08 Dodge Ram, reviews from users show that this may not be the right pick for you.
Like we always advise, you can do a further check with the manufacturer to confirm if it’s suitable for your vehicle.
- Enhances performance, handling, and control
- ISO certified/ known for quality
- Guarantees remarkable driving experience
- Not a perfect pick for 08 Dodge Ram
Buying consideration of Best Shocks For Dodge Ram 1500
Before you decide on the type or brand of shock absorbers to go for, it is very important to consider the related driving condition.
Once you fully understand the driving conditions associated with how you make use of your vehicle, it becomes very easy to decide on the perfect shock absorber design to go for.
As we all know, when you make use of your vehicle for lots of off-road driving, a lot of heat is generated. To ensure you get the best out of your vehicle in terms of performance and quality of life, it is always advised you go for a nitro shock absorber. This design ensures the heat generated is reduced, hence, optimizes or enhances performance.
The following are some of the things you have to consider when looking for the right shock absorbers to buy for your Dodge Ram 1500 4×4:
Have a budget
This is a very critical thing to consider whenever you are on the lookout for shock absorbers replacement. To start with, the price of a shock absorber doesn’t necessarily speak for the quality, but in most cases, it does.
To clarify the first stance, when you take a look at our list of top-quality shock absorbers on the market, we have pretty affordable brands that also offer top performance without having to break the bank.
The point is, if you are willing to spend more, you will get value for your money. Just make sure you have a budget stating the range or amount of cash you are willing to let go for a replacement.
Once you have this settles, it helps you filter your search to a specific amount and makes the exercise an easy one for you.
Know if it’s adjustable or not
In most cases, a lot of truck owners prioritize the shock absorbers that can’t be adjusted over the ones that can be easily adjusted. The reason for their preference is very simple.
To start with, consistency is a key factor. Once you install a shock absorber that can’t be adjusted on your vehicle, you have completely eradicated the need for adjusting it in the nearest future.
Also, this type of shock absorbers is designed to perfectly fit into any forms of driving conditions.
Consider the riding experience it offers
As we discussed earlier (In the introductory page), the shock absorbers are major parts of your vehicle’s suspension system.
And the main function of the suspension system is to ensure you experience a smooth ride from time to time.
Without a shock absorber or when you drive your vehicle around with a faulty absorber, the ride is always rough, which is not advised due to its dangerous nature.
When you have a damaged shock absorber replaced in your vehicle, it enhances the driving quality in terms of handling, control, and overall performance.
Once all of these are guaranteed, you are assured of having stress free riding experience from time to time.
Must give better control to the vehicle
Once the shock absorbers of your vehicle are faulty, there is a need for an immediate replacement.
Once you notice there that there is no traction as you move your vehicle over those rough or uneven areas of the road, then it’s time to change your shock absorbers.
Your choice of Shock absorbers must bring about an improved control while driving and must guarantee smooth movement no matter what the road condition may be.
Consider the stability it brings to your vehicle
Your choice of Shock absorbers must guarantee stability no matter the action you perform with your vehicle.
Stability must be ensured while accelerating, and it must also be assured whenever you apply the brake. In other words, your choice of shock absorbers must be able to withstand the weight of your vehicle.
When you install the best shocks for your truck, apart from the enhanced control it gives, it as well eradicates any forms of disaster in a situation where there is an emergency, and it also improves the level of confidence of the truck owner.
How to install Shocks of a Dodge Ram
- Unpack the shock absorbers from the box
- Then, jack your truck. Make sure your truck is parked in an appropriate position
- Locate the lug nuts on the two sides of the front and back end of your truck
- Once the lug nuts are found, make sure you loosen them
- Check if your truck is properly secured by checking its position on the jack stand
- For the appropriate placement of the jack, you can consult the installation guide.
- Take off the damaged or old shock by detaching it from the suspension system
- Insert the new shock back to the suspension
- Make sure everything is well secure. Tighten the various nuts and other components back to their normal positions
Dos and don’ts points
- Seek for a replacement when due
- Always seek for high-quality shock absorbers during replacement
- Always check for compatibility with your vehicle before purchase is made
- Do not drive in a vehicle with damaged shock absorbers
- Not all shocks can be installed facing the upside-down position
- Always check your installation manual before installation and mid-way into the installation
Maintenance of points
- Make sure you check your shock absorbers once in a year for possible replacement or repair
- For every fifty thousand (50,000) mile covered, make sure you get your shock absorber checked
- Once you have covered up to twenty thousand (20,000) miles on a rough road, ensure you get your shock absorbers checked.
- Check if there are any stains around the shock tubes, check for any traces of oil to confirm if there are any leakages
The following are the different types of shock designs:
- The coil shocks: Have you ever seen a shock absorber with a coiled spring placed all over its body? This type of shock is known as coil shock. The role of the coiled spring is to accommodate the vehicle’s weight and as well regulate the suspension’s movement. For any shock absorbers of this nature, they can be adjusted. Once you install these types of shock absorbers on your vehicle or truck, it becomes easy to adjust your truck’s height to fit your needs and for enhanced performance.
- The Twin-tube shocks: These types of shock absorbers are designed for off-road trucks. They come with a set of tubes, one of the tubes is placed or positioned internally and the other one is positioned externally.
- The Mono-tube shocks: These shock absorbers come with a tube and with double pistons. One of the pistons splits the nitrogen layer and the air layer. Shock absorbers under this category operate impressively and they are the most used type of shock absorbers on trucks.
- The reservoir shocks: As the name suggests, shock absorbers under this design are loaded with fluid. Whenever the shock comes across rough or bouncy roads, the fluid makes contact with the gas, which eventually causes resistance.
FAQs About Dodge RAM Shocks
What are the best brands of shock absorbers to go for?
This question has been answered in this article. For any brand you choose to go for on our list of best shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4, you are guaranteed of getting value for your investment.
These products were carefully selected based on online validations by users and extensive research.
Are shock absorbers expensive?
Well, the answer to this question is subjective. This is subjected to how much you are willing to invest in a new shock absorber.
Even with that, you can get a top-quality shock absorber for as low as $60 and as high as $600. Well, the price can be associated with quality, but that doesn’t make the affordable brands inadequate.
When you take a look at our list, there are various affordable brands which you can go for and which as well offers top performance.
When should I consider a replacement?
Before you think about replacement, there are various signs you have to watch out for.
For instance, once you notice an unusual noise, which is sometimes produced when the tire recoils, then you need to check your shock absorbers for possible replacement.
Once you start feeling uncomfortable with every ride, then there is a need for a replacement.
Do strut and shock perform the same function?
The answer is yes. Although the designs of these two components are different, their duties or functions to the suspension system can be considered as the same thing.
What the shock absorber does, is to ensure you experience a smooth drive from time to time by absorbing and as well restraining the bumps, potholes, and the rough road condition.
Additionally, the strut and shock bring about enhanced or improved handling and control of your truck to facilitate free and fun ride.
Are shock absorbers subjected to wear and tear?
Yes, they do. This is why it is always advisable to get the shock absorbers of your vehicle checked at least once in a year by a top-technician.
Alternatively, for every twelve thousand miles (12,000) you cover on rough terrain, make sure you get the shock absorber of your vehicle checked.
Can I check the shock absorbers of my vehicle myself?
Well, we always advise you get a top-technician to do this for you. This is considered professional and appropriate.
When do I get my shock absorbers replaced?
Ideally, with or without the signs we have identified earlier in this guide, you should make sure you get your shock absorbers checked and changed for every fifty thousand (50,000) miles you cover.
A comfortable ride is important from time to time. You can earn it when you put everything in order.
Shock absorbers are important parts of your vehicle. There is no way you can cut short their importance in terms of the support they provide to the vehicle.
When you have top-quality shock absorbers installed on your vehicle, you are guaranteed an amazing driving experience without any interruption or effect from rough roads.
To attain optimum performance with your truck, make sure you choose from any of the highlighted brands in this article.
In essence, when you choose from any of the identified brands, the functions of your vehicle is enhanced, you attain an improved control over your vehicle, the handling improves, and the brake is also enhanced.
You can only drive with full confidence when you know that your safety and that of your vehicle is guaranteed. This is what a top-quality shock offers every vehicle owner.