Hemi engines are a great pick for engine lovers. But like all motors, problems are inevitable. One then may ask, what are 5.7 Hemi problems?
Experiencing little hitches and difficulty while using engines is not unusual, rather, it is important for one to understand how these engines work.
These problems may range from ticking sounds, torque curves, heat loss, size of combustion chambers, amongst other problems. Nevertheless, with proper maintenance and care of the 5.7 Hemi engine, you’ll get the best result.
- Common 5.7 Hemi Problems
- Possible solutions of 5.7 Hemi Engine problems
- Pros & Cons of 5.7 engine
- HEMI Pros
- HEMI Cons
- Maintenance Tips
What is 5.7 Hemi?
The 5.7 Hemi is an engine produced by Chrysler. Some of its applications are in the RAM 1500, 2500, and 3500 pickup models, with improvement over time.
Another one of its newest inventions, this engine shaped like a hemisphere with amazing features, characteristics, and great output as measured in horsepower-per-cubic-inch. This video will show you all you need to know about the 5.7 Hemi engine.
Top picks of 2500 & 3500 RAM ball joints on the market nowadays.
Chrysler 5.7L Hemi engines are designed to meet the OEM standard of measurement or exceed them, with transferable parts and warranty on labor.
Bear in mind that the 5.7 Hemi is a completely redefined gasoline engine, which is assembled to meet certain tolerance levels and live-run test for durability.
The Hemi 5.7 engine is used in popular brands as Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep applications for RAM pickup trucks, 300, Charger, Durango, Grand Cherokee amongst others. The 5.7 L Hemi is manufactured at Chrysler’s Saltillo Engine plant located in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico.
|Preview||Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi Accessories||Product Details|
|K&N Cold Air Intake Kit|
|aFe Power Momentum|
|S&B Filters 75-5106|
|Bilstein 5100 Series|
|Power Stop K2164 Z23|
|Detroit Axle S-5300|
To know how to solve the acceleration problem in Dodge RAM read more.
Features of 5.7 Hemi engine
Some of the Exciting Features of 5.7 Hemi Engine include:
- Small surface area resulting in less heat escape
- Dual spark plug design
- Higher compression ratio
- Active intake manifold
- Variable camshaft timing
- Multi-displacement system (MDS)
- 350 horsepower
- Combustion chambers shaped like a hemisphere
The best quality automotive batteries on the market.
A cylinder head shaped like a hemisphere (“Hemi-head”) yields an effective combustion chamber and high surface-to-volume ratio, with little or no heat loss towards the head, giving room for two large valves to enter.
This hemi-head gives space for more than two valves for each cylinder. These valves are usually heavier than that of multi-valve engines. Exhaust valves and intake normally lie opposite the chambers, causing cross-flow in the head design.
Because of the hemispherical nature of the combustion chamber, a piston that is flat at the top results in a low compression ratio, else a longer stroke is put to use.
Therefore, the piston crown is made to extend into the top head center in order to reach the needed compression ratio. These results in a combustion chamber shaped like the peeled part of half an orange.
To know why the dodge RAM engine starts then die visit our content.
This hemi-head design positions its spark plug at the center of the chamber or a point close to it. Although this hemisphere is equal in diameter to the piston, a minor compression is made available for a proper mixture of fuel and air completely.
Thus, because of the minimal squish in the Hemi-heads, their sensitivity to fuel octane rating increases; a higher octane rating is needed for the compression to prevent an occurrence of pre-detonation in a Hemi engine, unlike in some typical engine designs like the bathtub and wedge.
Intake and exhaust valve stems are always present In Hemi heads, however, they point in various directions.
They, therefore, require a wide, larger cylinder head and detailed rocker arm geometry for use in single unit overhead cam engines and cam-in-block engines.
These overhead cam engines are often dual, thus rocker arms may be absent. This contributes to the total engine width, limiting the vehicles it can be installed in.
Notable obstacles in the commercialization of engine designs that use hemispherical chambers are centered towards valve actuation, with specific emphasis on ways to make it reliable effective, and efficient at any cost.
The production of HEMI engine heads in recent times is more flat-surfaces and complex than those of the 1950s–1970s Hemi V8 chamber.
As a result of this, the combustion chambers no longer maintain the true hemispherical shape.
It utilizes a coil-on-plug ignition system that does not distribute energy, with two spark plugs per cylinder.
This shortens flame travel resulting in combustion and lesser emissions frequently.
Similar to most Hemi head engine models by Chrysler, the 5.7 Hemi has a rating of approximately one horsepower per cubic inch. New Hemi engines are SAE net, but the older models were rated at SAE gross.
The replacement procedure of Dodge RAM infinity speaker on your own.
Common 5.7 Hemi Problems
As earlier stated, problems arising in engines are inevitable. However, with proper maintenance and handling, your engine will always be good as new and serve to its optimum capacity. These problems include:
01. HEMI TICK
5.7 Hemi tick is a usual problem associated with most Hemi engines. It’s the major flaw of the engine. This ticking sound can be as a result of wrongly sized valve stems, causing valve chatters or the ticking sound.
It could also be as a result of stuck lifters grinding against the camshaft. Other causes include lifters, low-quality fuel, and injectors.
View the reliable fuel injectors on the market for dodge ram engine.
02. DIPSTICK TUBE SLUDGE AND WATER INSIDE THE OIL CAP
Most people have complained about issues as seeing mud in the dipstick and traces of water inside the oil cap.
03. RAM WEIGHT
This is intended to help with gas mileage by means of shutting off cylinders upon activation. But, the weight of the RAM and its large nature takes a negative toll on it.
The MDS also causes a fluttering sound upon activation because of its incompatibility with exhausts.
04. HIGH TORQUE CURVES
In trucks, a sharp torque curve is experienced which tends to peak at high engine speeds. It lacks the low-end torque useful in towing and hauling for optimum engine performance.
This engine is susceptible to problems that range from- drop-in valve seats, oil consumption, damaged bearing, dry start-up, leaks in the head gaskets, scraping of the piston, wear of valve guide, knocking or low oil pressure, oil leakage and issues with running.
However, some of these problems have been addressed by a team of researchers to device more means and improve on the reliability and durability of the engine.
Possible solutions of 5.7 Hemi Engine problems
Hemi engines are infamous for their slight ticking or tapping sounds and the 5.7 hemi isn’t any different. These arise as a result of different problems on the motor, from insufficient lubrication to other bigger problems. However, the solution to this isn’t far-fetched.
- Ensure to take your Hemi engine to a professional mechanic for diagnosis and repair.
- Also, carry out routine maintenance checks on your engine.
- To prevent ticking sound, ensure to check your engine oil levels regularly, and use the right type of oil.
- Use fuel additives or an alternative to high-quality gasoline.
Pros & Cons of 5.7 engine
- Valve Size: The valves are located on opposite sides of the head, making room for valves.
- Small Surface area: This results in less heat escape and higher peak pressures.
- The 5.7 hemi makes use of a dual spark plug design, coupled with a secondary spark plug firing when the engine’s power stroke is started. This helps with emissions and curbs flame propagation.
- Active intake manifold: It opens up the short runners for enhanced engine performance when the engine is at high speed.
- A multi-displacement system helps in improving fuel economy.
- Higher compression ratio.
- eTorque mild Hybrid system
- Variable camshaft timing.
- Optimum torque and horsepower.
- No space for extra valves as it has two large valves which do not enable easy breathing of the engine
- Large combustion chamber
Maintenance is key to getting optimum results from your 5.7 Hemi engine. Here are some useful tips that will help you in sustaining your engine.
- Change engine oil and filter.
- Rotate the tires, especially when it shows signs of irregular wear,
- Ensure to Inspect the filter for engine air cleaner, and replace it when due.
- Change the air conditioning filter if necessary.
- Check the brake linings thoroughly, and replace it if necessary.
- Inspect exhaust system.
- Carry out Inspection on the manual transmission fluid (if equipped), add as necessary.
- Lubricate the engine often
- Do a thorough check of the rear axle fluid.
- Take your engine for proper checks at the mechanics.
- Use quality oil, lubricants, and fuel for your engine.
Various parts of an engine’s design control the amount of power extracted from the individual combustion strokes. For instance:
- When you intend to burn all the gas present in the cylinder. As a result of the design the gas is not burned, energy is untapped in this sense.
- If you want the highest cylinder pressure to happen when the crankshaft is placed at the right angle, to enable you to extract all the necessary energy from the pressure.
- You intend to waste very little engine energy to the least possible point, sucking in fuel and air into the combustion chamber and in turn pushing out the exhaust.
- When you intend to lose little heat as possible to the nearest minimum of the heads and cylinder walls of the engine. Heat creates pressure in the cylinder; therefore heat loss entails lower peak pressures in the engine.
Chevy Silverado vs Colorado which one is the best for your ride.
What causes the ticking sound in your Hemi engine?
The ticking sound of an engine is as a result of inappropriate lubrication. Using lubricants like engine oil and fuel between components of the engine help in providing a pad or cushion for the engine parts to prevent tapping or clinging against each other.
These tapping or ticking noises can be caused by different things and sources. For instance, valves, lifters, and fuel injectors can be causes.
What is makes the Hemi engine unique?
The surface area of the Hemi engine is smaller, in comparison to that of flathead engines.
This, therefore, results in the reduced escape of heat in the process of combustion, making the hot fuel burn better.
The Hemi valve positioning on opposite sides of the chamber makes it a bit bigger than the former models which are placed side by side.
What is the horsepower of the 5.7 hemi?
The horsepower of the Hemi 5.7 engine is 350 horsepower. The 5.7 hemi engine produced up to 350 horsepower at 5,600 rpm. It also gave an outcome of 375 lb-ft of torque, approximately 4,400 rpm, based on one horsepower per cubic inch.
How fast is a hemi engine?
The HEMI 5.7 can attain a 5.1-second climb for up to 60 miles per hour. For such a heavy muscle, mean car, it is as fast as lightning.
Is a Hemi engine faster?
It is important to note that the HEMI engine as a combustion engine is fast, it produces high efficiency.
This is because its chambers giving an opportunity for the Hemi engine to produce such power.
The major point of its power lies where the spark plug is located, which is the head of the cylinder.
How many spark plugs can be found in a 5.7 Hemi?
The 5.7 HEMI V-8 utilizes two spark plugs for each cylinder, making a total of 16 plugs in all. Top grade, standard spark plugs are usually included in the pack of the 5.7 Hemi engine from the factory.
Can you classify the Ram 5.7 Hemi as a good engine?
We were able to power our mid-level Laramie tester using one of the non-mild hybrid powertrains provided by RAM on the reworked 1500, together with a Hemi 5.7-liter V-8 effective for 395 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque.
Of all the Ram 1500s in 2019, the engine is estimated and rated an eight-speed automatic engine. Quite commendable indeed
If you follow some of these problems associated with the model Hemi 5.7 engine, you’ll discover that some of them are faced with rather complicated issues when compared to other models.
In general, the 5.7 Hemi isn’t a bad engine to opt for. It is, in fact, one of the best-selling engines with top-notch quality delivery. Here’s a little piece of advice for intending buyers, choose an engine that is strong and durable.