A winch is a life-saving accessory that is a must-have for serious off-roaders. It is installed in the front of a vehicle that lets you bail out your vehicle stuck in any situation with quite ease. Plus, it also clears the large obstacle blocking the trails. In simple words, a winch enhances your vehicle’s power and makes it highly maneuverable even in the most demanding and challenging situations.
The market is flooded with plenty of options offering different mechanics, controls, load capacity, and pricing. All these factors make it difficult for you to choose the right winch for your jeep. To make it simpler for you, we picked and reviewed the seven best winches for jeeps you can find on the market in 2022. So let’s begin with a review.
- Top Picks For Jeeps
- 1. WARN 103252 VR EVO 10 Winch with Steel Cable
- 2. Smittybilt X2O Comp – Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
- 3. STEGODON 9500 lb. Load Capacity Electric Winch S2
- 4. Champion 10,000-lb Winch Kit with Remote Control
- 5. Pismire Winch Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
- 6. Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC Winch
- 7. OFF-ROAD BOAR 9500-lb Electric Winch Kit
- Buyer’s Guide
Top Picks For Jeeps
1. WARN 103252 VR EVO 10 Winch with Steel Cable
Warn holds a very cool reputation in off-road industries, and their product is taken as a symbol of reliability. Warn 103252 EVO 10 is one of the most powerful and functional winches for the jeep you can buy today. It is a powerful winch offering a pulling capacity of around 100,00 lbs and an ultra-powerful steel cable.
The 90 feet steel cable comes with a diameter of .354 inch making the winch powerful enough to pull SUVs, large pickups, and ½ ton trucks. Series-wound motors and low amp draw further enhance the performance and efficiency of the Warn EVO 10. It means you get an impressively faster speed of around 25 feet per minute without consuming too much power.
Additionally, it comes with a 2-in-1 remote for both wired and wireless options making it one of the most versatile options. The winch also boasts of a one-piece cast-aluminum tie-plate, and the Albright contractor enhances the strength and durability of this winch.
It also lets you relocate the control packs for low-profile installations. The IP68 waterproof rating makes it a perfect choice for all weather conditions. Finally, this product is backed by a 10-year warranty on mechanical parts and a 7-year warranty on its electric parts.
Warn VR EVO 10 is a high-performance winch that is powerful enough to be used in challenging and heavy-duty applications. It’s waterproof IP67 rating, ability to relocate control plates, and one-piece cast-aluminum tube plate help it stands out as one of the best winches for the jeep.
2. Smittybilt X2O Comp – Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
Next on our list is a premium high-performance Winch kit by Smittybilt. It is a well-equipped winch kit that performs well in all types of situations. What sets this winch apart from its counterparts is its 6.5 hp amphibious motor and dual solenoid system. The motor is highly powerful, and it resists water damage offering a long-term performance.
The dual solenoids have more mounting options enhancing the versatility of the winch. The powerful motor in combination with 98.5 synthetic cable offers a maximum load capacity of 10,00 lbs. It means you can trust this winch for heavy-duty applications. With all forged hook and hawse, fairlead winch offers effortless connection.
You will get both manual and remote control operating options, which are best for handling different situations. Reliability and durability are something we loved most about this kit. It features overall steel construction and high-quality synthetic rope, probably the best mechanical construction you will get on the market.
The electrical system of the winch is highly reliable, thanks to the 500 AMP state-of-art solenoid. The product is backed by a lifetime limited warranty on mechanical parts and a 5-year warranty for electrical parts.
Smittybilt 1000-lb winch kit lends itself to professional and heavy-duty applications. The winch is pretty straightforward to mount and offers exceptional power and seamless performance, giving you the best value for the money.
3. STEGODON 9500 lb. Load Capacity Electric Winch S2
STEGODON Electric Winch S2 comes with a terrific load capacity of 9500 lb at a very competitive price. What sets this winch apart from its counterparts is its innovative and eye-catching design with a Jungle Explorer logo. S2 electric winch is powered by a 5.5 hp motor coupled with high-efficiency 3-stage planetary gear. When combined with highly maneuverable and lightweight synthetic rope, this powerful mechanism takes its performance to a whole new level.
The synthetic rope measures around 10mmx18 m and comes in a brightly painted fluorescent color, making it highly visible in the dark and daylight. What we found most impressive about this winch is its high-performance 500 amp solenoid and heavy-duty contractor.
With a powerful motor and heavy-duty contractor, the winch offers an impressive speed of 24.6 feet per minute with empty and 6.4 feet/min with fully loaded trucks. Moreover, its waterproof and sand-proof feature further adds to its efficiency and reliability. Finally, the product is backed by 1-year limited warranty and lifetime technical support.
Stegodon S2 electric winch features a powerful mechanism for pulling heavy loads and handling tough situations. The overall construction is sand-proof and waterproof, giving you the confidence to take your jeep to highly challenging situations.
4. Champion 10,000-lb Winch Kit with Remote Control
Champion is a top-rated brand known for producing powerful and advanced off-roading equipment. This winch kit by Champion comes with advanced features and is built to tackle heavy-duty applications. It offers an impressive power of around 1000 lbs which is big enough to pull the SUVs, loaded trucks, and jeeps.
What makes this product highly efficient is its 3.6 hp series wound motor. The series-wound motor is responsible for faster line speed. Champion Winch offers a speed of 15.7 feet/min with zero loads and 3.9 feet/min with maximum load. Although a bit expensive, this winch offers the simplest and most convenient winching experience ever.
Since it comes with a dedicated handheld remote control, we were able to connect the winch in almost no time. Plus, a free-spooling clutch coupled with an 85-feet long cable ensures hassle-free winching. The cable features a galvanized aircraft-grade construction which is lightweight and maneuverable. However, that cable is not as strong as steel or high-quality synthetic cable and is highly susceptible to damage.
Champion 10,000 lb winch kit is a premium option that offers ultimate convenience and terrific performance even in challenging situations. Its remote control feature, effortless connect mechanism, and free-spooling seamless pulling make it one of the best winches for a jeep you can buy today.
5. Pismire Winch Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
Pismire is another affordable yet compelling choice for heavy-duty applications. It is probably the only winch under $400 that offers a pulling capacity of 13500 lbs. What makes this winch so powerful is its 7.2 hp wound motor and 3-stage planetary gear system.
In addition to powerful electric mechanisms, it boasts high-quality mechanical construction. A free-spooling clutch, 100-feet nylon rope, and dynamic brake control promise an efficient and seamless winching experience. It doesn’t offer wireless or remote control options which are pretty okay at this price point. However, we found this winch pretty easy to use manually.
Plus, it comes with a comprehensive user manual making it easier for novices to understand the operation. Pismire Winch is completely waterproof, which further enhances its ability to tackle heavy-duty applications and challenging terrains. The only downside of this winch so that it is highly prone to short circuits, and only a 1-year limited warranty backs its electrical components.
Pismire waterproof winch is an affordable product that can outperform many expensive and premium winches available in the market. It has maximum efficiency and an effortless winching experience at a competitive price point.
6. Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC Winch
Smittybilt GEN X2 is a complete winch kit featuring a powerful motor and impressive construction quality. This winch offers a maximum load capacity of 9500 lb, making it perfect for heavy-duty applications. Powered with a 6.6 hp wound motor and a 5-amp state-of-art solenoid, it promises ultimate efficiency and a seamless winching experience.
The innovative mechanical design further enhances the reliability and functionality of this product. It comes with 3-stage planetary gears and a 4-way roller fairlead making it one of the handiest options on the markets. Plus, the dynamic brakes give you extra confidence while winching, making it perfect for beginners.
Plus, you would get a heavy-duty remote control, a durable steel hook, and a three-mounting position. All these features add functionality, convenience, and versatility to the winch to make it perfect for difficult situations. We also loved the overall waterproof construction.
It features overall steel construction with a UV-resistant coating. You can buy the product confidently since it’s backed by the manufacturer’s lifetime warranty on mechanical and a 5-year warranty on electrical parts. Finally, if you want to get the best out of it, it’s is recommended to use the original wiring that comes with the package.
Smittybilt GENX2 is a perfect balance between price performance and quality. With a heavy-duty remote control and 3 mounting positions, we found this winch pretty straightforward to install. Plus, with a 6.6 hp motor and 5-amp solenoid, this winch can bail you out of any situation.
7. OFF-ROAD BOAR 9500-lb Electric Winch Kit
Our final choice for the best winch for the jeep is the OFF-Road Boar electric winch kit. The best thing about the product is that it comes at an affordable price without cutting down on power and efficiency. The winch comes equipped with a 5.5 hp wound motor and a 3-stage planetary gear system giving it a max load capacity of around 9500 lbs.
In addition to amazing load capacity, you would get an impressive speed of 26.5ft/min for unloaded and 6.5 ft/min with fully loaded vehicles. Plus, you can operate the winch either manually or using the heavy-duty remote control. For a seamless and uninterrupted winching performance, OFF-road Boar is equipped with a 92-feet steel cable.
Unlike other economical winches, this product does not offer cheap construction quality. The overall body is made of steel with anti-corrosion and anti-rust features. Also, its mechanical and electrical parts are rated IP67 for water resistance. The manufacturer offers a 1-year limited warranty on both electric and mechanical parts. Although the warranty period is comparatively shorter, you would get lifetime technical support from the Off-Road Boar.
Off-ard boar is the only winch under $300, offering remote control option and 9500 lb load capacity. Powered with a 5.5 hp motor and high-quality steel cable, this product can rescue you from the most challenging conditions.
A powerful winch adds immense power to your vehicle, prevents damage, and improves maneuverability in difficult situations. However, a winch features complex mechanical and electrical parts. There it is quite difficult for a layman to find the right winch for the jeep. Here is a simple guide explaining the key features you must consider while buying a new winch for the jeep.
Type Of Lines
Usually, modern electric winches come with two types of lines, steel cables, and synthetic ropes. Synthetic cables or ropes are lightweight and highly maneuverable. However, they’re not as strong as steel ropes. Also, they are highly susceptible to damage from water, sand, and UV.
Synthetic ropes are ideal for relatively less demanding conditions. Steel ropes are not as handy as synthetic ropes but are immensely powerful. These ropes can bail you out from the most challenging conditions.
Load capacity, also known as pull line rating, is the most critical feature of any winch kit. Pull line rating refers to the maximum weight loading capacity of the winch. If you are only concerned with light-duty vehicles like pick-up trucks or smaller jeeps, you should go with winches offering 5000-800lb load capacity. However, for larger vehicles like trucks, boats, and SUVs, you should look for a pull line rating 2.5 times greater than your vehicle’s gross weight.
More mounting options add versatility to the product. In general, you will find three mounting options, including integrated, bumper and,muti-mounted. Multi-mounted winches are mounted on a receiver plate attached to the bumper. In that case, you should conform to the plate compatibility with your vehicle.
Integrated mounted winches come with an integrated plate that attaches to the bumper. These are the most versatile and highly durable winches. Bumper-mounted rails are directly mounted onto the bumper.
Waterproofing is another key factor of a winch. Winches are directly exposed to sand, moisture, rainwater, and other damaging factors. Rainwater and moisture can damage the internal parts like the engine and motor. Winches are rated IP66, IP67, and IP 68 for waterproofing.
Winches rated IP66 can withstand powerful water jets and are 100 percent waterproof. IP67 and IP68 rated bodies offer protection against moisture and light rain showers. However, you cannot expect 100% waterproofing with these ratings.
Electric winches start from $290 and could be as expensive as $1000. For light-duty applications and small vehicles like jeeps, you can find a perfect winch between 300-500 dollars. Winches costing more than $500 lend themselves to more demanding applications like loading-trucks, boats, and challenging trains.
Winches don’t come cheap, and therefore you must look for a generous warranty period. A longer warranty period gives you confidence that you are investing in a quality product. For example, famous brands like Warn and Smittybilt offer 4-5 year warranty on their mechanical and electrical parts.
Safety is another major concern, especially when you are new to the field. All trusted brands provide a comprehensive user manual explaining the instruction and safety guidelines. To avoid vehicle damage and ensure personal safety, it is critical to consult the user manual or manufacturer technical support.
What type of winch is best?
An electric which featuring a series wound motor and steel cable is the best winch type. These winches offer faster speeds and maximum load capacity, making them ideal for large vehicles and heavy-duty applications.
What is better for a winch rope or cable?
A synthetic rope is a good option for less demanding and light-duty applications. Winches featuring synthetic ropes are lightweight and highly maneuverable. However, in serious off-roading, it is critical to get a heavy-duty steel cable winch to withstand the challenging off-road conditions.
An electric winch is a life-saving accessory for offroaders. This small device mounted in front of your jeep can do wonders. All the products on our list are tested for reliability and performance, and therefore we highly recommend all these products.
Our top-three picks from the list are:
Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC Winch for its affordable price three mounting options, UV-protective coating, and waterproof construction.
Champion 10,000-lb Winch Kit with Remote Control for its effortless mounting, heavy-duty remote control, 1000 lb pull line capacity, and waterproof construction.
WARN 103252 VR EVO 10 Winch with Steel Cable for ist powerful steel cable, impressive pull line rating, low amp draw, and series-wound motor for faster speed.
We are hopeful that this review will help you choose the best winch for your jeep. Pull line rating, and waterproofing are the most critical features you must consider while buying a winch kit.
Check out some other winches for jeeps from Amazon also:
- > 6.6 HP Series Wound Motor—— A monstrous 6.0 HP series wound motor, this electric winch with Full Load Line Speed (ft/min): 4.1ft, No-Load Line...
- >Wired and Wireless Control—— This electric winch equipped with upgraded control, wired and wireless control, which operates on the 2.4Ghz bands...
- >Waterproof Ultimate Protection—— This electric winch is sealed to IP-67 rating to protect all sensitive parts from the intrusion of water, and...
- >Electric Winch with Superior Toughness—— Made of heavy-duty steel with powder coating, this trailer winch is rust and corrosion resistant, and...
- >3 Stage Planetary Gear System—— Achieve maximum speed ratio of 265:1 with small size, and can achieve coaxial speed change. The 3-stage planetary...
- Special designed for atv, utv, car, boat, trucks, jeeps, modified vehicles and multi purpose utility trailers
- 6.7hp 12v series wound motor and three-stage planetary gear system with free spooling clutch.100' Length 3/8" Diameter Nlyon rope
- Waterproof and sandproof, state-of-the-art 500AMP Solenoid.Unique clutch brake system, excellent control
- Please confirm the fit of mounting plate before purchase: outline size :(length X width X height) 20.8"X 6.7" X 10"
- Please read the instruction carefully. The winch can cause short circuits if wiring is wrong. If you have any problems, please feel free to consult...
- AMERICAN OWNED, FAMILY OPERATED - Join the Rhino Family & Support a USA based Father/Son Business!
- 20+ TON BREAK STRENGTH - Lab Tested and Certified 41,850lbs Capacity, #1 For Sale on Amazon!
- POWDER COATED CHROMOLY STEEL - Sustain Good Looks & Anti-Rust Coating on ALL Rhino Products Guaranteed!
- CONFIDENCE & PEACE OF MIND - Knowing you Have top Quality Equipment to get you out of any Situation!
- GUARANTEED 5-STAR EXPERIENCE - If you aren't 100% Satisfied for any Reason, We'll Refund Your Money
- Splendid Performance: Winch Load Capacity: 13,000 lbs (5,897 kg); Power: 4.8 KW; Gear Ratio: 265:1. The powerful motor is connected to a 3-stage...
- Advanced Steel Cable: Cable length: 85 ft / 26 m; cable diameter: 3/8 in / 9.5 mm; The electric winch is equipped with the stronger steel cable rope....
- Convenient Wireless Remotes: The truck winch comes with a high-precision wireless remote control to better monitor and controls the winch operating....
- More Accessories Provided: Complete Winches Accessories: 1 x Electric winch, 4-Way Roller Fairlead, 1 x Wireless Remote Controller, 1 x Hand Remote...
- Enjoy Any Adventure: With plenty of power to assist in ATV recovery, traversing rough terrain, or loading a boat, this ATV winch is a reliable and...
- Winch Load Capacity: 13,000 Pounds; 6.0 Horsepower; Gear Ratio: 236:1; With a 3-stage planetary gear system for strong pulling; The unique design is...
- Winch Size: 21.5 x 6.3 x 9.8 inches; Mounting Bolt Pattern Size: 10 x 4.5 inches; Winch Synthetic Rope Size: 3/8 inch x 86 feet; This powerful winch...
- IP 68 waterproof design; 400 AMP 12V DC Series Wound; No load traction drag speed at 21.3 feet /min, the Full load 13000 lbs drag speed at 5 feet...
- Package included a electric winch; 11.8 x 2.7 x 10.03 inches hawse fairlead; control box; mounting bolts; 3/8 inch clevis hook; 73.2 inches battery...
- To install the winch and fairlead, getting a mounting bracket set up which not includes in this product; Please read the instructions carefully before...